Pages

19.2.14

Nationally Romantic Day


The Physicist and I spent our Valentines Day rather uneventfully. Up until 6:00 pm that is. When work was done, and the long trudge back to our car was under way, we suddenly realized that it was a nationally romantic day. We'd made no plans. In fact, we were acting like an old married couple, with a bajillion kids. (No offence to old married couples and delightfully robust families. We look forward to the Valentines Days that are a comin' to us. They'll be special in a different, but still totally smokin' hot and crazy way. We just don't want to waste the preciously short season we're in now. :)

"That's it!" We made up our minds to be totally spontaneous, and romantic, and sparkly. Then I remembered that we were out of TP (Toilet Paper). This led to a "short" stop at the grocery store. I also needed to pick up test strips from the pharmacy. And Calvin remembered that new scratch pads (you know, for cleaning all the pans in the sink at home...) were on the list. So we split up. I stood in line waiting for the pharmacy. Calvin took off down the home cleaning supply aisle.

Apparently we both had the same idea. Sneak around the other and get a card or something! I struck out for the card aisle, crossing my fingers that there might, just might, be a card that satisfied the home-made-or-bust perfectionist beast that lurks somewhere in my heart.

Guess who was already there?

My Geek flashed me his lopsided "I've just been caught" grin.

"Alright, alright, we can't both look for a card together" I protested. He totally agreed. He also very gentlemanly offered to let me stay, while he went to look for the TP. Silently I prayed for roses. And maybe chocolate. But definitely roses.

The card aisle was a wreck. Cards were falling out of place, strewn about the aisle, trampled underfoot. A half dozen humans, of both sex, were browsing the shelf, nervously looking over their shoulders as they picked over the cards that still remained on the shelf. So this is what lazy sweethearts look like on Valentines Day. I chuckled. Oh wait, I'm on this aisle too.

Mental note, never, ever, repeat that experience. It was just, kinda embarrassing to get stuck in the procrastinators crowd. Or maybe there were a few people there who'd just got sweethearts that very day. I mean, you never know, you've got to give people the benefit of a doubt. I ended up hating every single card. (I also altruist-icly helped a young woman look for a card that did NOT have the word "Love" on it. It was very important to her. And I have to say, strange as it is to actually go through the effort of giving your boyfriend a card and yet not want to say love, she had a point. The card companies are not catering to the needs of this fascinating little niche of society.)

Bye bye, card aisle. You just don't spend $6.99 on card-stock that cliché. My hopes were shot down. I rejoined my husband. He had pan scrubbers and TP in his cart. Only pan scrubbers and TP. My spirits were further dashed. This was going to be an unromantic Valentines Day after all. It was all my fault, I should have made plans. Poor Geek, he was too busy with work to be blamed. No, I the unemployed home maker should have designed elaborate plans for this first Valentines Day as man and wife.

As we checked out my pity party continued. I couldn't blame my husband for not getting me roses. After all, the budget was kinda tight. My little hobbies (photography, fashion, crafting, home decorating...) were already eating away at our funds. Heck, I wouldn't even spend $6.99 on a card. How could I expect him to spend $14.99 on roses. Even the palest of beautiful blush pink roses. And chocolate makes us fat....

After the ride home, every mile my mental processes were churning, growing, Calvin suggested catching a movie. I perked up a bit.

"You go get dressed up, I'll make dinner."

That man is a catch folks, an absolute catch. He knows me to a T. Including the fact that if we even hoped to catch the 10 pm showing of "The Lego Movie" I would need plenty of time to put on my face. And he was willing to make dinner to accommodate my need to primp on this nationally romantic day. Plus, it was a gesture after all. Kinda like, "I didn't get you roses, but making dinner is a sweet and practical thing to do for the love of your life."

My closet was soon emptied as I tried on combo after combo. And ended up settling on the tried and true, trusty little red dress. Foundation, concealer, powder, eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow, blush, more mascara.... Curling irons, bobby pins, brushes, hairspray. More hairspray. Sparkly glittery jewellery. Heels. Different heels. Five inch high heels!

Phoowey. It's work to be a girl, you guys.

Anyway, fast forward a bit... a bit more. (Okay, give me the remote, I mean fast fast forward. Keep going, keeeep goiing. There we go, stop.)

"Dinner's ready, honey." My geek calls to me from the other room. I stepped away from the mirror. A tiny troublesome gush of sadness welled up in my girlie heart; movies are great, pretty dresses are fun... but. but....

I turned around. The table was cleared, the pans were washed, food was set out, and a dozen of the palest blushiest pinkiest shabby-chic-iest roses were sitting at my spot. ROSES!

Floored people, just gonna say it, I was floored. Mouth dropped. Screaming. The whole deal. The Physicist stood there grinning and looking mighty pleased with himself. I tell you folks, it's no small deal sneaking a dozen roses in from the trunk of the car behind your wife's back.... in a one room efficiency apartment. (Yeah. I get an A+ in unobservancy. Don't laugh. It's actually pretty disturbing.)

With the roses we were on cloud nine again. Every semblance of dissatisfaction flew from my heart. It may be superficial folks, but there you have it. The rest of the evening was spent partying it up at our premium G rated film, tromping through Wall-mart (in the 5 inch heels) on a hunt for cheesecake, and staying up until four AM watching more movies - just because we were so hyped up on cheesecake. And ourselves. And being spontaneous. Because "everything is awesome"... (Go watch the movie!)

Lessons learned, all a girl really needs on Valentines is a surprise. A teeny tiny one will do. And roses or course. Don't forget the roses....




No comments:

Post a Comment